With ever increasing pressure on organisations to conduct their activities and services in an environmentally sustainable manner, one can no longer ignore your social, economic and environmental aspects. At EP3 we advocate business sustainability where we consider and manage an organisations impact on the environment and the environmental impact on the business. We develop policies, strategies and plans to manage these risks with the aim of reducing not only risk but operating cost. EP3 can further assist with the facilitation of targeting green Star rating for new building in line with the requirements of the Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA).
- Sustainability planning
- Green Star facilitation
- Carbon Footprint assessments - The Carbon Tax Act (Act 15 of 2019) was promulgate in June 2019 and requires certain organisation to report and pay tax on their carbon emissions. EP3 can determine your carbon footprint, register and report on your facilities in line with the requirements of the Greenhouse Gas regulation (2017) and determine your Tax Liability. EP3 can also assist with the identification and implementation of measures to reduce both your carbon footprint as well as your tax liability.
Environmental approvals (EAs, WULs, WMLs etc.) granted by environmental Departments require the applicant to appoint a suitably qualified independent ECO to monitor and report on the implementation of the project environmental requirements. EP3 can provide highly qualified and experienced ECOs to fulfil these requirements whilst providing sound recommendations to promote environmental compliance.
Due to increased pressure on organisations to comply with environmental requirements during the construction phase of a project, the need for full-time Environmental Officers to manage environmental aspects are increasing rapidly. EP3 can provide suitably qualified Environmental Officers to be placed on the site on a full-time basis to manage and implement project environmental requirements.
EP3 can undertake environmental compliance and performance assessments in line with approval requirements, Environmental Management Programmes and International standards such as the World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD) principles, International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) guidelines and Equator Principles.
Audits are conducted in line with the audit protocol as outlined in the ISO 14010:1996 standard to allow for a structured approach to the audits.
Environmental Compliance Monitoring services:
- Legal Compliance Audits
- Compliance and Performance Auditing
- Environmental Control Officer duties
- Full-Time Environmental Officers
- Construction Environmental Management - Due to extensive experience on construction sites and in-depth knowledge of environmental legal requirements associated with construction projects, EP3 is in a position to provide organisations with internal Environmental Officer services that include the development and implementation of environmental documentation and ongoing site monitoring to ensure compliance with project environmental requirements.
A management system (MS) refer to the management of an organisation's programs in a comprehensive, systematic, planned and documented manner. EP3 can assist with the development and implementation of integrated MS in line with international standards such as ISO 14001:2015 and 45001:2018. EP3 can also perform internal audits on MS in preparation for third party audits.
ISO Management systems:
- Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment
- Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001)
- Health and Safety Management Systems (ISO 45001)
- Integrated Management Systems (14001 & 45001)
- Internal Audit
- Scoping and Environmental Impact Assessments - EP3 can conduct Basic Environmental assessments and Scoping and full Environmental Impact assessment in accordance with the National Environmental Management Act (Act 107 of 1998) (NEMA) and the 2014 EIA Regulations.
- Basic Environmental Assessments - Being familiar with the different environmental risks associated with an organisations activities, products and services allow for a proactive approach in managing and reducing these risks. EP3 can undertake different levels of risk assessments in line with the ISO 31000 standard for Risk Assessment to identify risk and recommend suitable management measures to reduce identified risks.
- Water Use License Applications - EP3 can undertake General Authorisations and Integrated Water Use Applications in accordance with Section 21 of the National Water Act (Act 36 of 1998) (NWA).
- Waste Management Licenses
- Air Emission Licenses
- Environmental Management Programmes - (EMPr) – The EMPr is recognised as a tool that can provide assurance that the project proponent has made suitable provision for the management and mitigation of anticipated environmental impacts. The EMPr is, therefore, an important tool to ensure sound environmental management. EP3 can develop site specific, practical EMPrs to meet legislative and Greenstar requirements as well as provide independent EMPr quality reviews.
- Environmental Screening Assessments - Environmental Screening is a safeguarding mechanism that are used to screen a proposed project site prior to land acquisition and further investment. The aim is to determine if any fatal flaws exist that might obstruct the proposed project. EP3 make use of up to date Geographic Information System tools and data sets, applicable legislation and extensive experience to provide proposed developers with adequate information to make an informed decision.
EP3 can conduct fall out dust monitoring in line with the American Society for Testing and Materials method (ASTM D 1739-98) as required by the National Dust Regulations, 2013.
EP3 can also provide surface and groundwater quality monitoring and reporting in line with applicable Departmental water quality guidelines.
Environmental Monitoring services:
- Dust fallout monitoring
- Ground and Surface water quality monitoring.
With relatively new and constantly-changing environmental legislation and different project environmental requirements, the need for ongoing environmental awareness and training exists.
EP3 can provide the following environmental training to organisations:
- Basic environmental awareness training;
- Introduction to Environmental Law;
- Environmental Audit training;
- Construction Environmental Management training;
- Construction Regulation Training
- Health and Safety Awareness.
Health and Safety is essential to the success of any organisation and by acting proactively can lead to improved service delivery and production and ultimately contribute to the sustainability of an organisation. EP3 can provide the following Health and Safety services:
Occupational Health and Safety services:
- Full Time and Part Time Construction Health and Safety Officers;
- Department of Labour Applications;
- Conduct and Implement Baseline and Issue-based Risk Assessments;
- Incident investigations;
- Development of Health and Safety Specifications;
- Development and Implementation of Health and Safety Management Systems;
- Development and Implementation of Comprehensive Health and Safety Files and Relevant Documentation;
- Development and implementation of Comprehensive Fall Protection Plans;
- Health and Safety Inspections;
- Legal Compliance Audits;
- Occupational Hygiene (Illumination, Noise, Ventilation and Hot and Cold Stress Monitoring).
Ecological specialist studies need to be conducted to establish baseline conditions on site and to provide sufficient information that can be used by decision-makers (in the EIA phase) regarding potential impacts associated with proposed developments and to provide mitigation and management measures for identified impacts.
EP3 can provide the following Specialist Services:
- Wetland Ecological Studies & Delineations;
- Terrestrial Ecological Studies (Faunal and Floral, Habitat Unit & Sensitivity Assessments).
- Ecological Spatial Mapping (GIS)
- Wetland and Terrestrial Ecological Rehabilitation Plans.